Background

My Ladder

by: Krislyn Michelle Smietana, RN

I worked as a paediatric cardiac surgery nurse for more than 3 years in Prince Sultan Cardiac Center in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. Remembering those time I was really scared to start my 1st day for I don't have any background in cardiac field. Applying this to Benner's Theory : I started to work as probationary nurse "Novice" under my preceptor "Advance Beginner" under the supervision of my Head Nurse "Expert". As a Novice I dedicated myself in learning everything that I needed to know. I was open to all the reconstructive criticism that my preceptor and my head nurse are giving me that time for I know that it would help me. I undergone all of the trainings, seminars, studies that I could possibly have, passed all the examinations and gained all the certifications that I can have as a competent Nurse. Successfully in a short period of time with my hard work I was promoted to be a Staff Nurse proving that I am now competent to handle situations and ready to be of service with the aspiring new sets of beginners. I gained the respect and the trust of all of my co-workers, my heads, my doctors and my patients. This only proves that in order for us to be successful in our chosen carrier/field one must start as a "beginner/ novice" to learn and to be prepared to be an "expert".








Leave a Reply